Thursday, August 26, 2010

Comic Review...

Transformers #10

Writer: Mike Costa
Artist: Guido Guidi

(cover by Guido Guidi)

Summary: 'International Incident,' Part 2: Spike and Optimus lead a covert team onto South Korean soil, but do they have a chance against a fully-armed platoon of Combaticons? Somebody's about to get their tail-pipe kicked in a big way. Costa and Guidi bring the pain with the biggest brawl yet in the Transformers ongoing title.

Comments: Like the previous issue, a decent story and reasonably good art (if a bit cartoony). My problem is that I'm tired of "decent" and would like to see more of "spectacular". I'd also like to see some tighter writing so stories don't go on and on forever. This story could've been wrapped up quickly but apparently its slated to go at least four issues! All International Incident really is ultimately is a extended battle between the two sides (it reads like the plot of a G1 cartoon episode). There's no intrigue or sub-plots really. What you see is what you get--and it's just not interesting or exciting enough for me. Of all IDW's output, I can't say they've really ever done a truly memorable story (although a few of Furman's came close)--and this is no exception. I planned to give the ongoing series a couple of issues to try it out and see how Costa did. I'm just not feeling it overall and after ten issues, I think it's time to call it quits. (I might still pick up a trade or mini in the future if it sounds good but I'm done with the ongoing for the time being).

Mildly recommended.


No comments: