Saturday, September 21, 2013

Comic Review...




Transformers Regeneration One #0

Writer: Simon Furman
Artists: Casey Coller. Geoff Senior, Jeff Anderson, Jose Delbo, Nick Roche
Covers: Andrew Wildman (A), Guido Guidi (B), Geoff Senior (RI), Casey Coller (RE)

Summary:  ZERO POINT! Adventure in the time stream, as HOT ROD desperately attempts to identify the rogue elements that are leading him, and the entire CYBERTRONIAN race, inexorably towards the catastrophic end of time itself. What hidden stories do the DEATHBRINGER, BOLTAX, BUSTER WITWICKY, and GALVATRON have to tell, and what—if any—solutions are there? Or is it already too late?

Comments: This was a cool gimmick issue, utilizing past popular TF artists to portray eras they were known for (Geoff Senior for the Deathbringer flashback, Jose Delbo for the Buster/Jesse story, etc.) The art styles clash and the differences are quite noticeable but I can see what they were trying to do here so I'll give that a pass. 
   We're not really given a clear reason in-story for why the timeline is fracturing. One would assume that it would be clearly "drawn" for the reader but instead all the reader gets is hints... something to do with the evil Matrix residue, Spike's guilt over the loss of family, Jhiaxus existence and plans, the alternate timeline where Galvatron and his Decepticons triumphed over the Autobots. It will be interesting to see how Furman draws these disparate plot points into something coherent in the final five issues that remain of this series (I hope we're not disappointed).
   I would also like to see some real explanation in-story for why Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime resembles Primus. Is he the ultimate Prime? Perhaps created to unite their kind once and for all, ending war for all time? If not... frankly, I'd be disappointed if he ends up being another Prime "just because".


Verdict: Very Good.


 

Cover "A" by Andrew Wildman




















Cover "B" by Guido Guidi


























Retailer Incentive cover by Geoff Senior

1 comment:

Earlwin X said...

I bought a comic book through Amazon/Kindle (Reader.Amazon.Com) a while back. I'm having trouble reading these series, so I have to pause several times. I should test this problem on an iPad/Nook, but haven't done that yet. I tried it on my MSWINXP and Ubuntu 12+ systems using Chrome and Firefox with a screen resolution of 1600 X 900.

All variations of the browser format refuses to zoom in, and it would just fight back to resize at 100%. The problem with this is that the whole page does not expand to the width of the screen, it maintains only 1/3 the size of the screen, so it seems like I'm reading somewhere between 6 to 7 point font; Facebook text is probably 9-10 pt.

The only other way I can think of is to download the comicbook to a PDF format, so I can zoom in on these pages using an Adobe reader. There is a download/offline version of the reader, but I don't know where it is hidden. Search by date or by file format doesn't help.

Any problems with Comixology or other services like Marvel/DC? I must admit my eyes aren't as sharp as before, and working in front of computers doesn't help.