Sunday, January 25, 2015

Review: Transformers: Windblade TPB

Transformers: Windblade


Writer: Mairghread Scott
Artist: Sarah Stone
(covers by various artists)
Price: $17.99 USd
Format: TPB (collected edition of previous mini-series)
Available: October 2014


Summary:  In the aftermath of Dark Cybertron, Windblade takes the planet by storm! But where did she come from - and what does her secret mean to the future of the Transformers?

Comments:  I have to admit I didn't really read Dark Cybertron so I'm missing a few story beats, like when Windblade and Chromia showed up. But this story pretty much references their appearance (at least generally) so I wasn't totally lost.
   I was pleasantly surprised by this story. Windblade's back story isn't greatly expounded upon but we do get some hints as to her past. From the story, Windblade is depicted as being a sensitive soul. One who is delicate in her nature but also committed to protocol and doing her sworn duty. Chromia, by contrast, is brash and outwardly strong. A born warrior. A counterpoint to Windblade if there ever was one. To be perfectly honest, they could've done a bit better with these characters, looking for more depth in both. But I understand this is a comic story and there's only so much time for such things.
   The story is decent and even takes a couple of unexpected twists along the way. (I am sick of the current status quo in IDW. I wish they'd get back to the war already and stop this peaceful Cybertron schtick. I feel it hurts the overall storytelling but that's an argument for another time). Starscream would seem to be Windblade's nemesis but not all is as it appears...  We also get a lot of the RID extended cast in this, with appearances from Blurr, Slag, Octane, Waspinator, Tankor, Rattrap, etc.
   The artwork fluctuates between good and cartoony at times. I know cartoony seems to be the current style in comics in general but I am really sick of seeing it. When Stone does straight art the result is much more satisfying in my estimation.The mini-series also had an impressive array of cover art, some of which was really good.


Verdict:  Good. Worth checking out if you missed it in mini-series form earlier.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very cool review.
In my opinion the story was very nice, but I do agree that the peaceful Cybertron is getting a bit tiresome. I am a fan of the art myself, I find it a bit refreshing from the other the TF comics.